Presentation on the New Horizon School System
Staff Writer, March 16, 2008
Why New Horizon School?
• Best of both worlds
• Integrated Islamic Perspective throughout program.
- an English teacher will also talk about Islam in correlation to the language class
• Development of American Muslim identity.
• Daily instruction in Arabic.
• California Association of Independent Schools
• Western Association of School and College
• US Department of Education
• Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
• National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP)
• Core curriculum, textbooks and resources aligned with California frameworks and national study
• Integrated of Technology.
- Using computers etc.
• Supplementary programs including Accelerated Reader, Accelerated Math, Mountain Math, Mountain Language, Reading first, Raising a Reader.
• Los Angeles/Orange County Science Fair
• American Mathematics Competition 8
• Global Math Competition
• Spelling bee
• Who wants to be a Champion?
• Quran Competition
• Debate Competition
• Aligned with Bureau of Islamic and Arabic Education (BIAE) Curriculum and resources
• Courses offered in Islamic studies, Quranic Studies & Arabic languages.
- Hajj simulation etc.
• Value of the month.
- justice, kindness, respect, generosity etc.
• Daily prayer & weekly Juma’prayer.
• Character Recognition Program
(Catch Ya, Start Student, Sadaqa stamps, Student of the Month)
• Big Sunday
• Orphan relief
• Day of 1000 Volunteers
• Giving campaigns for Hurricane Katrina, Pakistan Earthquake, Umma Clinic, Children’s Hospital, St. John’s Hospital, Homeless Shelter & Food bank.
• Eid Toy Drives
Respect to other faiths
• Bridges program
• Jerusalem Sky Project
• Daniel Pearl Music Class
• Peace Prayer Service
• Interfaith Friendship Day
• Schools look for teaching professionals who have a credential or Master’s degree and years of experience.
• Teachers must be talented, nurturing, dedicated and committed to school.
• Diverse faculty.
Professional Development (for teachers)
• Aldeen Workshops
• Individual Workshops
• School focus areas
- a professional from outside will be invited to teach vocabulary to the students depending on the school need.
Class room ratio
• Small Class sizes
- ratio is 1:18 i.e. one teacher for 18 students
• Teacher’s aides when needed
• Selectivity processing admissions procedures
• Diverse student population – socio economically, racially and ethnically
Developing Young Leaders
• Student Council
• Students leading prayer
• Khateeb program
- inviting scholars to talk about Islam
• Reading buddies
- The 5th grade students will interact with kinder garden buddies etc.
• Physical Education
• Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, CA
• Ocean Institute
• CA Science Center
Outdoor Educational Program
• Camping trips to Angeles National Forest & Channel Islands
- Science Education
- Team building
- Wilderness survival
After School Program
• Self defense
• Mad Science
• Chess club
• Performing Arts class
• Sports club
• Our Children make friends with children whose families share the same values and belief system through their younger years
• Helps strengthen their Muslim identity
• Families can also find a great support system and can build relationships with other parents as they raise their children
• Graduates accepted to or are attending
- Crossroads School
- Village School
- Le Lycee Francais
- Polytechnic school
- Flintridge Preparatory school
- Westridge School
- The Buckley School
- Alverno School
- St. Francis School
- Harvard-Westlake School
Checkout the school websites