Staff Writer, November 19, 2003
1) What is the meaning of the word "Qur'an"?
A) That which is Read.
2) Where was the Qur'an revealed first?
A) In the cave of Hira (Makkah)
3) On which night was the Qur'an first revealed?
A) Lailatul-Qadr (Night of the Power)
4) Who revealed the Qur'an?
A) Allah revealed the Qur'an
5) Through whom was the Qur'an revealed?
A) Through Angel Jibraeel (Alaihis-Salaam)
6) To whom was the Qur'an revealed?
A ) To the last Prophet, Muhammed (Sallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
7) Who took the responsibility of keeping the Qur'an safe?
A) Allah himself
8) What are the conditions for holding or touching the Qur'an?
A) One has to be clean and to be with wudhu (ablution)
9) Which is the book which is read most?
A) The Qur'an
10) What is the topic of the Qur'an?
11) What are the other names of the Qur'an according to the Qur'an
A) Al-Furqaan, Al-Kitaab, Al-Zikr, Al-Noor,Al-Huda
12) How many Makki Surahs (chapters) are there in the Qur'an?
13) How many Madani Surahs (chapters) are there in the Qur'an?
14) How many Manzils (stages) are there in the Qur'an?
15) How many Paara or Juz (parts) are there in the Qur'an?
16) How many Surahs (chapters) are there in the Qur'an?
17) How many Rukoo (paragraphs) are there in the Qur'an?
18) How many Aayaath (verses) are there in the Qur'an?
19) How many times is the word 'Allah' repeated in the Qur'an?
20) How many different types of Aayaath (verses) are there in the
21) Who is the first 'Haafiz' of the Qur'an?
A) Prophet Muhammed (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam)
22) At the time of the death of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) how many Huffaz were there?
23) How many Aayaath (verses) on Sajda (prostation) are there in the
24) In which Paara (part) and Surah (chapter) do you find the first
verse about Sajda (prostation)?
A) 9th Paara, 7th Chapter-Surah-al-Araaf, Verse 206
25) How many times has the Qur'an stressed about Salaat or Namaaz
A) 700 times
26) How many times has the Qur'an emphasized on alms or charity?
27) How many times in the Qur'an, is the Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu
Alaihi Wasallam) addressed as Yaa-Aiyu-Han-Nabi?
A) 11 times
28) Where in the Qur'an has Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) been named 'Ahmed'?
A) Paara 28th, Surah Saff, Ayath 6th
29) How many times has the name of Rasool-ullah (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) been mentioned in the Qur'an?
A) Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)-4times Ahmed (Sallallahu
Alaihi Wasallam)-1 time
30) Name the Prophet whose name is mentioned and discussed most in the
A) Moosa (Alahis-Salaam)
31) Who were the Kaathibe-Wahi (copyists of the revelations) of the
A) Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu), Usman (Radhiallahu Anhu), Ali
(Radhiallahu Anhu), Zaid Bin Harith (Radhiallahu Anhu) And Abdullah bin
Masood (Radhiallahu Anhu)
32) Who was the first person who counted the Aayaath (verses) of the
A) Ayesha (Radhiallahu Anha)
33) On whose advice did Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu) decide to compile
A) Omer Farooq (Radhiallahu Anhu)
34) On whose order was the Qur'an compiled completely in written form?
A) Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu)
35) Who confined the recitation of the Qur'an on the style of the
A) Usman (Radhiallahu Anhu)
36) Out of the copies of the Qur'an compiled by Usman (Radhiallahu
Anhu), how many and where are they at present?
A) Only 2 copies. One in Tashkent and the other in Istanbul.
37) Which Surah of the Qur'an was Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) reciting while praying,
that Hazrat Jabeer Bin Muth'im Listened to and embraced Islam?
A) Surah Thoor
38) Which was that Surah of the Qur'an which the Prophet Muhammed
(Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had
recited when one of his enemies Utba after listening to it fell in Sajda
A) The first five Ayaaths of Ham-Meem-Sajda
39) Which is the first and the most ancient Mosque according to the
40) In Qur'an mankind is divided into two groups. Which are those two
A) Believers and disbelievers
41) Who is the man about whom, Allah has said in the Qur'an that his
body is kept as an admonishing example for future
generations to come?
A) Fir'aun. (Pharaoh)
42) Besides the body of Pharaoh, what is that thing which is kept as an
admonishing example for future generations to come?
A) Noah's Ark.
43) After the wreckage of Prophet Noah's Ark, which is its place of rest
mentioned in the Qur'an?
A) Cave of Judi.
44) In the Qur'an the name of which companion of Prophet Muhammed
(Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) is mentioned?
A) Zaid Bin Harith.
45) Who is the relative of the Prophet Muahmmed (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) whose name is mentioned in the Qur'an?
A) Abu Lahab
46) In the Qur'an there is a mention of a Prophet who has been called by
his mother's name. Who was he?
A) Jesus [Prophet Isa (Alahis salaam)] is mentioned as bn Maryam.
47) Which was the agreement that was titled Fath-hum-Mubeen' without
fighting a battle?
A) Treaty of Hudaibiya
48) What are the different names used for Satan or Devil in the Qur'an?
A) Iblees and Ash-Shaitaan.
49) Which category of creature does the Qur'an put 'Iblees' into?
50) What were those worships and prayers that were ordered by Allah to
the community of Bani Israeel and which were continued by the Muslim Ummah
A) Salaat and Zakaat. (Al-Baqarah:43)
51) The Qur'an repeatedly warns of a certain day. Can you say which day
A) Youmal Qiyamah. (Doomsday)
52) Who were those people with whom Allah was pleased and they were
pleased with Him, as mentioned in the Qur'an?
A) Companions of Prophet Muhammed. (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
54) In which year were the vowels inserted in the Qur'an?
A) 43 Hijri.
55) Who were the first serious students of the Qur'an?
A) As-haabus Suffah.
56) Which is the first Residential University where the faculty of the
Qur'an was established for the first time?
A) Masjid-e-Nabvi. [Mosque of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)]
57) By what name did the Qur'an address those noble and pious people who
were selected by Allah to convey His message to
A) Nabi (Prophet) and Rasool (Messenger).
58) What type of a person does the Qur'an want to make?
59) What is the scale or measure of one's dignity according to the
A) Thaqwa. (Piety)
60) What according to the Qur'an is the root cause of the evil?
61) What are the two most important types of kinds of Aayaath
(Verses)found in the Qur'an?
A) Muhakamaat and muthashabihaath.
62) Which is the longest Surah (Chapter) in the Qur'an?
63) Which is the smallest Surah in the Qur'an?
64) What was the age of Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
when Qur'an was first revealed to him through Jibraeel (Alaihis-salaam)?
A) 40 Years.
65) How long did Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) receive
the revelation of the Qur'an in Makkah?
A) 13 Years.
66) How long did Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) receive
the revelation of the Qur'an in Madinah?
A) 10 Years.
67) Where was the first Surah revealed?
A) In Makkah.
68) Where was the last Surah revealed?
A) In Madinah.
69) How many years did it take for the complete revelation of the
A) 22 years, 5 months and 14 days.
70) Which Surah (Chapter) of the Qur'an is to be read compulsorily in
each raka'at of the Sallat (Namaaz)?
71) Which is the Surah, which Allah taught as a Du'a (Prayer)?
72) What is the reason of keeping Surah-al-Fatihah in the beginning of
A) It is the door to the Qur'an
73) What is the Surah (Chapter) revealed completely and found first
place in the Qur'an?
74) Who was the only lady whose personal name is found in the Qur'an?
A) Mariam (Alaihis-salaam).
75) In which Surah (Chapter) of the Qur'an do you find maximum
76) When and Where did the Prophet Muhammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
and Jibraeel (Alaihis-salaam) meet for the second time?
A) On Friday, 18th Ramadan, in the Cave of Hira.
77) What was the interval between the first and the second revelation?
A) 2 years and six months.
78) Which is the Surah (Chapter) that does start without Bismillah?
A) Surah-al-Taubah or Bara'ath.
79) In which Surah (Chapter) of the Qur'an Bismillah is repeated twice?
A) Surah-al Naml.
80) How many Surah (Chapter) in the Qur'an have the titles named after
A) 6 Surahs (Chapters):
81) In which part of the Qur'an do you find 'Ayat-ul-Kursi' (Verse of
A) In the beginning of the third Part . (Chapter2-55)
82) How many different names of Allah are mentioned in the Qur'an?
83) Who were the three non-prophets whose names are mentioned with due
respect in the Qur'an?
A) Luqman, Aziz of Egypt and Zulqarnain.
84) At the time Abu Bakr (Radhiallahu Anhu) how many companions had
compiled the Qur'an in the form of a book?
A) 75 companions.
85) Which is that only book which is completely memorized by millions of
people in the world?
86) What did the Jinns who heard a few Aayaath Verses) of the Qur'an say
to each other?
A) We have heard a unique discourse which shows the right path, verily
we believe in it.
87) Which are the most popular translations of the Qur'an in English?
A) Translation by Muhammed Marmaduke Pickthall and by Allama Yusuf Ali.
88) Into how many languages of the world has the Holy Qur'an been
A) Nearly 103 languages.
89) Who was the first translator of the Holy Qur'an into Urdu?
A) Moulana Shah Rafiuddin Muhaddis Dehlavi.
90) What will be our condition on 'The day of the Judgment' according to
A) Everybody will be in a state of anxiety.
91) Who was the Prophet mentioned in the Qur'an whose three generations
A) Ibraheem (Alaihis-salaam).
92) What is that book which abolished all old rules and regulations?
93) What does the Qur'an say about property and wealth?
A) They are tests of one's faith.
94) According to the Qur'an who is "khaatamun Nabiyyeen" (the last of
A) Prophet Muhammed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
95) What is the name of the book that tells us clearly about the reality
of the beginning and the end of the world?
96) In the Qur'an what other name is given to the city of Makkah?
A) Bakkah and Baladul Ameen.
97) According to the Qur'an what other name is given to the city of
98) Whose Generation is known as "Bani Israeel" according to the Qur'an?
A) The generation of Prophet Yaqoob (Alaihis salaam) who is also known
99) Which are the mosques that are mentioned in the Qur'an
e) Masjid Quba
100) The name of which angels are mentioned in the Qur'an?
a) Jibraeel Ameen (Alaihis salaam)
b) Meekaeel (Alaihis salaam)
c) Haroot (Alaihis salaam)
d) Maroot (Alaihis salaam)