Characteristics of Servants of God (Ibad ur-Rahman)
Dr. Ahmed Soboh, December 9, 2007
God describes the following characteristics for the Servants of God.
1. They will walk on the earth in humility (not arrogantly; but with dignity).
2. If someone ridicules them or argues against their beliefs, their response would be, "Peace." (Salaam).
3. They would spend at least a portion of the night in prayers.
4. They would spend money in moderation.
5. They will refrain from believing anyone except God, will not kill any innocent soul and will not commit adultery. For those who have committed sin and repent truly, God will forgive them.
6. They will not give false testimony.
7. Whenever they pass by the people who are engaged in frivolity, they will pass on with dignity.
8. They will listen to God's messages with great attention and try to understand it.
9. They will pray for the happiness of their spouse and their offspring.
Surah 25. The Criterion, The Standard
63. And the servants of ((Allah)) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!";
64. Those who spend the night in adoration of their Lord prostrate and standing;
65. Those who say, "Our Lord! avert from us the Wrath of Hell, for its Wrath is indeed an affliction grievous,-
66. "Evil indeed is it as an abode, and as a place to rest in";
67. Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes);
68. Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment.
69. (But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy,-
70. Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful,
71. And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to Allah with an (acceptable) conversion;-
72. Those who witness no falsehood, and, if they pass by futility, they pass by it with honourable (avoidance);
73. Those who, when they are admonished with the Signs of their Lord, droop not down at them as if they were deaf or blind;
74. And those who pray, "Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous."
75. Those are the ones who will be rewarded with the highest place in heaven, because of their patient constancy: therein shall they be met with salutations and peace,
76. Dwelling therein;- how beautiful an abode and place of rest!